Peter Krider Antique Sterling Silver Figural Salad Bowl with Krider & Biddle Servers, Philadelphia, c. 1870
This unusual serving dish exhibits wonderful design and cast elements - traits for which Krider's silver is noted. The oval bowl has a plain body with a reflective surface and gilt interior. It is supported by four tall attached cast animal feet enhanced with classical elements. These classical elements are also used to frame the scenes of roosters on opposite sides of the applied rim, which is hand-engraved with a row of leaves and a row of florets flowing around the edge.
Exceptionally cast and applied lobsters peering into the bowl create the wonderful handles to the dish.
Accompanying the dish are a pair of Krider & Biddle (w. 1860 - c. 1870) servers with identical applied lobsters and classical hand-engraved designs. The fronts and backs of the bowl areas are gilded with minor wear and scratches. The backs of the servers are engraved 'GAYLORD'. They bear the incised retailer's mark 'S. Hogan'.
Krider was one of the finest silversmiths working in Philadelphia during the 19th century. After serving an apprenticeship with the noted Philadelphia firm of R. & W. Wilson, he worked for the important Boston silversmith Obadiah Rich. Returning to Philadelphia, he started his own firm in the early 1850's, was in partnership with John Biddle from 1860 - c. 1870, and then on his own again as the Peter Krider Company.
His shop excelled at casting, and was one of the largest medal making firms in the country - commissioned to make award medals for the Centennial Exposition in 1876 and others. They produced exceptional pieces (like this) and his work is represented in many museum collections.
Sylvester Hogan, formerly in the partnership of Hogan & Wade, was a Cleveland, Ohio jeweler who is known to have retailed Krider pieces. The shop was located at 225 Superior Street at the corner of Seneca (now West 3rd St.), near Cleveland Public Square. He was an, 'Importer and Dealer in English, Swiss and American Watches, Diamonds, Fine Jewelry, Sterling Silver and Plated Ware, French and American Clocks, Bronze and Parian Statuary, Pocket and Table Cutlery, Fancy Goods, &c.'. (See S. W. Robinson's 1871/72 Cleveland Directory.)
We believe these pieces comprise an original salad service dating to the transition between Krider & Biddle and Peter Krider Co., then sold by Hogan in Cleveland.
The servers are marked with the Krider & Biddle trademark and by the retailer 'S. HOGAN'. They measure 11 inches long, weigh 8.15 troy ounces and have light wear and scratches to the gilt areas. The bowl is marked underneath with Krider's trademark along with 'STERLING/ 488/ P.L. KRIDER'. It measures 12.5 inches long by 8.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches high, weighs 25.45 troy ounces and is in excellent antique condition.