This wonderful ciborium is a rare example of Gorham silver. The fitted cover has an applied cross finial, and the interior of both the cover and chalice are beautifully gilt. Engraved on the base is the inscription:
In Loving Memory Rev. Henry McKnight Moore 1864 - 1915
Ecclesiastical silver is quite rare on the retail market as most religious institutions usually keep their collections.
The Episcopal Divinity School was formerly the Episcopal Theological School founded in 1867 in Cambridge; it changed its name in 1974 when it combined with the Philadelphia Divinity School which was founded in 1857. In 2018, the school merged with the Union Theological Seminary in New York City and the campus was acquired by Leslie University. For more history of the school, see here.
This ciborium is marked underneath with Gorham's trademark along with 'STERLING/ 2164' and the 1908 date symbol. It measures 8.5 inches tall, weighs 12.05 troy ounces and is in excellent antique condition.
You may also like
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up to get the latest updates and current musings in our occasional newsletter…