This outstanding centerpiece features 10 cast and applied neoclassical medallions. In a wide band outside the bowl is bold floral and fruit repoussé work on a matted background in a beaded border with fans. The pedestal foot has a central decorated knob and a stepped base with more repoussé and medallions.
In a circular cartouche, it is inscribed:
Samuel M. Felton
by his friends
of the city of
and its vicinity
It measures 8.25 inches high and weighs 36.25 troy ounces. It is marked with the 'lion, "S", shield' trademark that Bailey & Co. used on their sterling silver, two lion passant marks and 'BAILEY & CO CHESTNUT ST PHILA'.
George Sharp had been Bailey & Co.'s silver shop foreman until he started his own business in 1861, when Bailey discontinued the in-house manufacture of silver. Bailey continued to order silver from Sharp and the Felton pieces bear Bailey & Co.'s marks, indicating that Sharp continued to use the Bailey marks on Bailey retailed silver even after starting his own shop.Condition:
Excellent, retaining the original gilt interior.