This wonderful ciborium is a rare example of Gorham silver. It is constructed of multiple parts assembled together. The chalice shaped body is unadorned except for a row of fine beading around the edge of the conical, platform base. The fitted cover has an applied cross finial. The interior of both the cover and chalice are beautifully gilt. Engraved on the base is the inscription:
In Loving Memory
Rev. Henry McKnight Moore
1864 - 1915
Ecclesiastical silver is quite rare on the retail market as most religious institutions usually keep their collections.
Provenance: Episcopal Divinity School, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The Episcopal Divinity School was formerly the Episcopal Theological School founded in 1867 in Cambridge, It changed its name in 1974 when it combined with the Philadelphia Divinity School which was founded in 1857. St. Andrew's Church was on the grounds of the Philadelphia Divinity School. In 2018, Episcopal Divinity School has assumed affiliation with Union Divinity School in NYC and the Episcopal Divinity School has been acquired by Leslie University. For a history of the church, click here.
This lovely ciborium is marked underneath with Gorham's trademark along with 'STERLING/ 2164' and the 1908 date symbol. It measures 8.5 inches tall, weighs 12.05 troy ounces and is in excellent antique condition.