These beautiful candelabra have heavy cast arms, socles and drip-pans which rest on cast stems with raised spreading feet which swirl lightly in the rococo taste.
Each base and arm section is marked with the maker's mark 'AM' and the Mulhouse town mark. Underneath the base, they are scratch marked several times. One is a monogram 'C'. Another is the date '1768' which we believe is a bit later than their fabrication. One is scratched '34' and the other '35'. We believe these are inventory marks from the earlier part of the 19th century. The arms and base of one is scratched III, the third of a set of four; the other is scratched on the arms and base IV. Each base has four pin holes around the edge which would have been used for a (missing) wooden insert held by silver pins.
Extremely rare examples of 18th century French provincial silver, these outstanding candelabra have survived major and minor revolutions, wars between France and Germany, taxation from governmental changes not to mention 250 years of use. We can only find a couple comparable examples now in French museum collections. We cannot find a comparable pair that has been on the market over the past 15 years.
Originally from a set of four, these candelabra weigh 85.6 troy ounces - representing a significant amount of wealth in the mid 18th century. They measure just over 12 inches high.
The maker's mark of 'AM' with the Mulhouse town mark is preserved on some 'law scroll holders' from c. 1750 in a Synagogue in Strasbourg. (See Marc Rosenberg; Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen; Berlin 1928, IV Band, p.242.) Jacques Helft in Le Poincons des Provinces Francaises (Paris: 1985), notes Abraham Mayr, III was working in Mulhouse c. 1771-1821. We believe this 'AM' mark belongs to his father, Abraham II, who most likely trained his son Abraham III.
Condition: They are in very good antique condition. The drip pan on the center light of both candelabra is missing. One base has been well restored.