Arthur Stone Arts & Crafts Sterling Commodore's Cup Yachting Trophy, Gardner, MA, 1915
This large and impressive punch bowl is hand-raised and has an applied lip to decorate and strengthen its top rim, which splays outwards. The hammered surface, for which items from Arthur Stone's shop are famous, displays a lovely shimmer. The stepped base is also hand-raised and applied.
Engraved on the bowl is a wonderful presentation from the famous yacht club in Marblehead, Massachusetts:
COMMODORE'S CUP EASTERN YACHT CLUB CRUISE 1915 FIRST DIVISION SCHOONERS
The Commodore's Cup for schooners in 1915 was won by the Irolita, owned by Edward W. Clark, (1) the Philadelphia Banker. He and his wife gave these Arthur Stone vases to the Pomfret School in memory of their son George N. Clark.
Arthur J. Stone ran the preeminent arts & crafts silver shop in New England, possibly the country. Items were hand-made using traditional silversmithing techniques. An innovator, Stone let the other masters who worked for him sign the items they made. This trophy was raised by Herbert Taylor, Stone's 'right-hand man' and possibly the most accomplished silversmith who worked for Stone. Taylor was one of only eight silversmiths to win the award of 'Medalist,' the highest honor for craft bestowed by the Society of Arts & Crafts, Boston. (Stone was the first silversmith to win the award.)
This magnificent trophy is marked underneath with Stone's trademark and STERLING/ 'T' (for Taylor). It measures 12 inches in diameter by just under 6.5 inches high, weighs an impressive 51.10 troy ounces, and is in excellent antique condition.
"For Commodore's Cups" in The Boston Sunday Globe, August 8, 1915, p. 14.
You may also like
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Sign up to get the latest updates and current musings in our occasional newsletter…