This important butter dish features decoration of neoclassical medallions (12 of them) and elaborate casting and hand chasing. Both the lid and base feature bands of chased neoclassical decoration including: anthemion leaves and acanthus based fluid foliate designs, much of it on various hand-chased matte finishes in the background. The pedestal base rests on four cast and applied feet of foliate decoration surrounding a neoclassical medallion. The handle on the lid is adorned with cast winged griffins similar to the entree server, finished with very fine hand chasing.
It measures 8 inches high and weighs 30.6 troy ounces. It is marked with the 'lion, "S", shield' trademark that Bailey & Co. used on their sterling silver, another lion passant mark and 'BAILEY & CO CHESTNUT ST PHILA'. It is monogrammed 'S.M.F.' in an Old English style in one reserve on the side.
George Sharp had been Bailey & Co.'s silver shop foreman until he started his own business in 1861, when Bailey discontinued the in-house manufacture of silver. Bailey continued to order silver from Sharp and the Felton pieces bear Bailey & Co.'s marks, indicating that Sharp continued to use the Bailey marks on Bailey retailed silver even after starting his own shop.
Condition: Very good except for some restoration to the lid near the finial.